top of page

In the 1860s, a group of eleven men from Gorran Haven and Mevagissey scoured the area in the hunt for a suitable building to erect a place of worship.  Most of them had witnessed the great revival in Mevagissey just over 30 years before when God moved in the fishing village in a mighty way.  People inside their homes, crying to God in mercy, could be heard by passers-by in the streets outside.
There had been an independent church in Gorran Haven from early in the 18th century.  They had met in a disused Roman Catholic church (opposite the Llawnroc), then in The Watchhouse (at the top of the beach). St Just Church, Gorran Haven had been used as a fish cellar for over a century. However, it seems that in 1812 the Congregationalists started using St Just as their Meeting House and referring to it as the old Chapel Cellar.  Their numbers grew to around 70 in the 1850s.  By now the church wanted their own building and eventually bought a plot of land on the 24th January 1863.
The eleven trustees included a carpenter, a mason, tailor, draper, cordwainer and some fishermen. They set about building a chapel from local stone, much of which was hauled back by horse and cart from Vault Beach.
Once completed, Haven Church became a member of the Congregational Union whose history dates back to the Puritans of 1581. In the early 1970s, Haven Church freed itself from any denominational bias.  The church building was renovated in the 1980s and then had a major internal redevelopment in 2016 giving us the facilities we enjoy today. A small pastoral oversight committee now administers the church and all maintenance and development costs are largely financed internally.

A Brief History

bottom of page